Essential Reading for Individuals Working in the Light and Anticipating Prosperity
A progression of events has led some of "The New Group of World Servers" (NGWS), through a process well described in the series of books by James Redfield, beginning with "The Celestine Prophecy". Redfield refers to this process as "Coincidence". Others have called it "Serendipity". Still others boldly suggest it's the "Divine Plan". By any definition we all can agree there is a definite pattern to these events, and those of us receiving this commentary must admit we've been inexorably drawn into this activity for some greater purpose. Fundamentally we must all evolve our thinking and emotions beyond traditional belief, beyond the "words" represented in religions, to the heart of "Truth", which, when invited into our lives, never separates the children of God, by any means whatsoever.
Within "The Secret of Shambhala", tools designed to assist us, are clearly defined. These tools were predicted in Alice Bailey's "The Reappearance of the Christ", (Excerpt at end of this missive), as far back as 1948. These tools were to be given to "TNGWS" at a very propitious time in the creation of the paradigm shift to the next dispensation. The time is now.
Those responsible (by choice and spiritual mandate), to initiate the changes in the social and consciousness tapestry of humanity, thus effecting the paradigm shift referenced and predicted in every major religion, known as "Heaven on Earth", or "Shambala" were drawn to participate in various programs designed to deliver necessary resources in order to finance activities to assist in creating the shift. These programs, and there have been many, have for various reasons eluded the intended recipients, some, for more than sixteen years. We've never been so close to accomplishing this monumental feat as now.
I strongly recommend everyone involved find a copy of the book, "THE SECRET OF SHAMBHALA", and make it "Priority One" reading; even more important than more financial and strategic reading directly related to managing funding proceeds. Understanding the principles will undoubtedly abbreviate our preparations and expedite proper administrative decision making notwithstanding assisting to avoid costly mistakes.
To introduce these concepts, I am quoting excerpts from the book:
Extracts from "THE SECRET OF SHAMBHALA"
by James Redfield ISBN: 0-446-523089
"Perhaps," Wil said, "we should go over all that the legends say about the prayer-field. We must understand how all this connects together."
"It all begins, ...with the realization that our prayer-energy is real, that if flows our from us and affects the world.
Once we have that realization, we can grasp that this field, this effect we have on the world, can be expanded, but we have to begin with the First Extension. We have to first improve the quality of energy we take in physically. Heavy and processed foods build up acid solids in our molecular structures, lowering our vibration and eventually causing disease. Alive foods have an alkaline effect and enhance our vibration.
"The purer we vibrate, the easier it is to then connect with the more subtle energies available within us. The legends say we will learn to consistently breathe in this higher level of energy using our increased perception of beauty as a measure. The higher our level of energy, the more beauty we see. We can learn to visualize this higher level of energy flowing out from us into the world, likewise using the emotional state of love as a measure that this is occurring.
"... Only now we've learned that by visualizing that energy is a field that goes out ahead of us wherever we go, we can stay consistently stronger.
"The Second Extension begins when we set this extended prayer-field to enhance the synchronistic flow of our lives. We do this by staying in a state of conscious alertness and expectation for the next intuition or coincidence that moves our lives further along. This expectation sends our energy out even farther and makes it stronger, because we are now aligning our intentions with the intended process of growth and evolution structured into the universe itself.
"The Third Extension involves another expectation: that our prayer-field go out and boost the level of energy in others, lifting them into their own connection with the divine within and into their own higher-self intuition. This, of course, increases the likelihood of them giving us intuitive information that can further enhance our own level of synchronicity. It is the interpersonal ethic we learned in Peru, only now we know how to use the prayer-field to make it stronger.
"The Fourth Extension begins when we learn the importance of anchoring and maintaining the outflow of our energy, in spite of fearful or angry situations. We do this by always maintaining a particular posture of detachment toward events as they occur, even as we expect the process itself to carry on. We must always seek a positive meaning, and always, always expect the process to save us, no matter what is happening. Such a mental posture helps us to stay focused on the flow and keeps us from dwelling on negative images of what might occur if we fail.
"In general, if we find a negative image coming to mind, we must consider whether it is an intuitive warning, and, if so, we need to take appropriate actions, but we must always return to the expectation that a higher synchronicity will guide us past this problem. This anchors our field, our outflow of energy, with a powerful expectation that has always been called faith.
"In sum, the first part of the Fourth Extension is about keeping our energy strong at all times. Once we master that, we can move forward and extend our energy even farther.
"The next step in the Fourth Extension begins when we fully expect that the human world can move toward the ideal expressed in the Tenth Insight and modeled by Shambhala. Moving your energy out farther and stronger in this way takes true belief. That's why understanding Shambhala is so important. Knowing that Shambhala has done it extends our expectation that the rest of human culture can do it too. We can readily see how humans everywhere can master our technology and use it in the service fot our spriritual development, and then begin to focus on the life process itself, on the real reason we are here on this planet: to create a culture on Earth that is conscious of our role in spriritual evolution and tot teach that understanding to our children.
... "Now comes the most difficult part, ...To expand even farther, we must do more than just remain positive in general, and avoid images of negative events occurring. We must also keep all negative thoughts out of our heads concerning other people. As you have just seen, if our fear ever turns to anger and we lapse into thinking the worst of others, a negative prayer goes out that tends to create in them exactly the behavior we expect. That's why teachers who expect great things from their students usually get it, and when they expect the negative, they get that too.
"Most people believe it is a bad thing to say something negative about others, but that it's okay to think it. We now know it's not okay, thoughts matter. As Wil said this, I thought about the recent spate of school shootings by students in the United States, and mentioned what I was thinking to Wil
"Kids everywhere," he said "are more powerful than ever, and the typical cliques and put-downs that have always occurred in schools can't be ignored by teachers any longer. When certain kids are looked down on and made fun of and scape-goated, they are affected by this negative prayer more than ever before. They now sometimes strike back explosively.
"And this is not just happening with kids; it's happening throughout human culture. Only by understanding the effect of prayer-fields can we grasp what is happening. We all are gradually growing more powerful, and if we don't become completely mindful of our expectations, we can inadvertently cause great harm to others. ... "Where do the legends say we go from here? ...
"To the subject I have been most interested in," he replied. "The legends say that we can't expand our fields farther until we fully acknowledge the dakini". (ed: the Angels)
I quickly told him about my many experiences with the strange figures and lighted areas since coming to Tibet. "You had those experiences before Tibet, " Wil said.
He was right. There were times when we were looking for the Tenth Insight that I seemed to be helped by strange wisps of light.
************************************************************************EXCERPT FROM "THE REAPPEARANCE OF THE CHRIST' by Alice Bailey (1948)
Chapter Seven, THE REAPPEARANCE OF THE CHRIST by Alice Bailey c. 1948
PREPARATION FOR THE REAPPEARANCE OF THE CHRIST
The Needed Preparation
The Work of the New Group of World ServersIf the general premise and theme of all that has been here written is accepted, the question necessarily arises: What should be done to hasten this reappearance of the Christ? and also: Is there anything that the individual can do, in the place where he is and with the equipment, opportunities and assets of which he stands possessed? The opportunity is so great and the need for definite and explicit spiritual help is so demanding that - whether we like it or not - we are faced with a challenge. We are confronted with the choice of acceptance and consequent responsibility, or with rejection of the idea and the consequent realization that we are not concerned. What we decide, however, in this time and period, will definitely affect the remainder of our life activity, for we shall either throw what weight or aid we can on the side of the invocation of the Christ and in preparation for His return, or we shall join the ranks of those who regard the whole proposition as an appeal to the gullible and the credulous, and possibly work to prevent men being deceived and taken in by what we have decided is a fraud. Herein lies our challenge. It will take all that we have of a sense of values and all that we can give to a specialized intuitive research to meet it. We may then realize that this promised reappearance is in line with general religious belief and the major hope left in the minds of men which can bring true relief to suffering humanity. To those who accept the possibility of His reappearance and who are willing to admit that history can again repeat itself, there are there questions which can be asked - the answers to which are strictly individual. These are: 1. How can I personally meet this challenge?
2. What can I specifically do?
3. What are the steps which I should take and where are those who will take them with me?
What is written here and in the following pages is essentially for those who accept the fact of Christ, recognize the continuity of revelation and are willing to admit the possibility of His return.The complexities and the difficulties of this postwar period are very great. The closer a man many be to the source of spiritual light and power, the more difficult is his problem, for human affairs at this time seem so far away from this divine possibility. He will need all that he has of patience, understanding and goodwill. At the same time, the clearer will be his recognition of the facts. There are inner and outer problems which must be solved; there are inner and outer possibilities which can be made factual. As the spiritually-minded man faces both these inner and outer possibilities and events, it is easy to register a sense of complete frustration; he longs to help but knows not what to do; his grasp of the menacing difficulties, his analysis of his resources and of those with whom he will have to work, and his clarity of perception as to the forces ranged against him (and on a much larger scale against the Christ) will make him inclined to ask: "What is the use of any effort which I can make? Why not let the forces of good and evil fight it out alone? Why not permit the pressure of the evolutionary current - eventually and at long last ---to bring cessation to the world fight and usher in the triumph of the good? Why attempt anything now?" These are natural and wholesome reactions. The poverty and starvation of the millions in Europe and elsewhere, the fear of Russia (warranted or unwarranted), the greed of the capitalistic forces of the world, the selfishness of labor, the aggressiveness of the Zionists, claiming as their own a land which has not been theirs for more than fifteen hundred years, the plight of the Jews in Europe, the desperation of the little man in every country who sees no security or hope anywhere, the work of the churches as they endeavor to restore the old order and rule which (over the centuries) has saved the world from little, and the lack of any clear voice or leadership in any country - all these things make the average man feel the futility of all effort. The problem seems too big, too terrible, and he himself seems too small and helpless. Never the less, the mass of straight goodness and vision in the world is enormous and the amount of clear, humanitarian thinking is unbounded; it is in the hands of the masses of good little men and the millions of right thinking people in every land that the salvation of the world lies and by them the preparatory work for the Coming of the Christ will be done. Numerically, they are adequate to the task and need only re-assurance and wise coordination to prepare them for the service required, before the reappearance of the Christ becomes possible. The problems confronting us should be faced with courage, with truth and understanding; as well as with the willingness to speak factually, with simplicity and with love in the effort to expose the truth and clarify the problems which must be solved. The opposing forces of entrenched evil must be routed before He for Whom all men wait, the Christ, can come. The knowledge that He is ready and anxious publicly to appear to His loved Humanity only adds to the sense of general frustration, and another very vital question arises: For what period of time must we endure, struggle and fight? The reply comes with clarity: He will come unfailingly when a measure of peace has been restored, when the principle of sharing is at least in process of controlling economic affairs, and when churches and political groups have begun to clean house. Then He can and will come; then the Kingdom of God will be publicly recognized and will no longer be a thing of dreams and of wishful thinking and orthodox hope. People are prone to ask the questions to why the Christ does not come - in the pomp and ceremony which the churches ascribe to the event - and, by His coming, demonstrate His divine power, prove convincingly the authority and the potency of God, and thus end the cycle of agony and distress. The answers to this are many. It must be remembered that the main objective of the Christ will not be to demonstrate power but to make public the already existent Kingdom of God. Again, when He came before He was unrecognized, and is there any guarantee that this time it would be different? You may ask why would He not be recognized? Because mere eyes are blinded with the tears of self-pity and not of contrition; because the hearts of men are still corroded with a selfishness which the agony of war has not cured; because the standards of value are the same as in the corrupt Roman Empire which saw His first appearance, only then these standards were localized and not universal as they are today; because those who could recognize Him and who hope and long for His coming are not willing to make the needed sacrifices, and thus ensure the success of His advent. The advanced thinking, the success of the many esoteric movements and above all, the marvels of science and the wonder of the many humanitarian movements, indicate no divine frustration but growth of spiritual understanding; the forces of the spirit are unconquered. These aspects of human behavior indicate the wonder of the divinity which is in man and the success of the divine plan for humanity. Divinity, however, awaits the expression of man's free will; his intelligence and his growth in goodwill are already being expressed. Therefore, another answer to the question posited is that Christ and the spiritual Hierarchy never - no matter how great the need or important the incentive - infringe upon the divine right of men to make their own decisions, to exert their own free will and to achieve freedom by fighting for freedom - individually, nationally and internationally. When true freedom covers the earth, we shall see the end of tyranny - politically, religiously and economically. I am not here referring to modern democracy as a condition which meets the need, for democracy is at present a philosophy of wishful thinking and an unachieved ideal. I refer to that period which will surely come in which an enlightened people will rule; these people will not tolerate authoritarianism in any church or totalitarianism in any political system; they will not accept or permit the rule of any body of men who undertake to tell them what they must believe in order to be saved or what government they must accept. When the people are told the truth and when they can freely judge and decide for themselves, we shall then see a much better world. It is not essential or necessary that all these desirable objectives should be accomplished facts upon Earth before Christ again moves amongst us. It is, however, necessary that this attitude to religion and politics is generally regarded as desirable and that steps have been successfully taken in the direction of right human relations. It is along these lines that the New Group of World Servers and all men of goodwill are working, and their first effort must be to offset the widespread sense of frustration and individual futility. That which will offset the sense of frustration and futility and provide likewise the needed incentive towards the re-building of the new world will be the belief in the essential divinity of humanity, in the evolutionary proof (which a little study quickly provides) that mankind has steadily moved onward in wisdom and knowledge, and a wide inclusiveness, plus the development of that state of mind which will base itself upon belief in the veracity of the historical records which bear witness to the many advents at crucial times in human affairs, and to the many world Saviors - of Whom the Christ was the greatest. A right and constructive attitude must also be based on an innate recognition of the existence of the Christ and of His Presence with us at all times; it must be grounded in the knowledge that the war - with all its unspeakable horrors, its cruelties and its cataclysmic disasters - was but the broom of the Father of all, sweeping away all obstructions in the path of His returning Son. It would have been well-nigh impossible to prepare for the coming in the face of the pre-war conditions. Upon these facts the New Group of World Servers must, today, take their stand. They must recognize the obstructing factors, but must also refuse to be frustrated by them; they must be aware of the hindrances (many of them financial and based on material greed, on ancient tradition and national prejudices). They must then employ such skill in action and such business acumen that these hindrances will be overcome; they must walk clear-eyed through world difficulties and pass unscathed and successful through the midst of all frustrating factors. There are two major factors which condition the present opportunity; these can be regarded as so completely hindering that unless they are removed, there will be a long delay before Christ can return. They are: 1. The inertia of the average Christian or spiritually-minded man in every country - Eastern or Western.
2. The lack of money for the work of preparation.We will keep these themes simple and down on the level at which most people work and think today. Let us be intensely practical and force ourselves to look at conditions as they are, thus arriving at a better knowledge of ourselves and of our motives. 1. The Inertia of the Average Spiritually-Minded Man. The average spiritually-minded person, man of goodwill, or disciple is constantly aware of the challenge of the times and the opportunity which spiritual events may offer. The desire to do good and to accomplish spiritual ends are ceaselessly gnawing away within his consciousness. No one who loves his fellowmen, who has a dream of seeing the Kingdom of God materialize on earth, or who is conscious of the awakening - slow though it may be - of the masses to the higher spiritual values but is thoroughly dissatisfied. He realizes that what he contributed of help to these desirable objectives is little indeed. He knows that his spiritual life is a side issue; it is something which he keeps carefully to himself and which he is frequently afraid to mention to his nearest and his dearest; he tries to dovetail his spiritual efforts into his ordinary, outer life, struggling to find time and opportunity for it in a gentle, futile and innocuous manner. He finds himself helpless before the task of organizing and rearranging his affairs so that the spiritual way of living may dominate; he searches for alibis for himself and eventually rationalizes himself so successfully that he ends by deciding that he is doing the best he can in the given circumstances. The truth is that he is doing so little that probably one hour out of the twenty-four (or perhaps two) would cover the time given to the Master's work; he hides behind the alibi that his home obligations prevent his doing more and does not realize that - given tact and loving understanding - his home environment can and must be the field in which he triumphs; he forgets that there exists no circumstances in which the spirit of man can be defeated or in which the aspirant cannot meditate, think, talk and prepare the way for the coming of the Christ, provided he cares enough and knows the meaning of sacrifice and silence. Circumstances and environment offer no true obstacle to the spiritual life. Perhaps he hides behind the alibi of poor health and frequently behind that of imaginary ills. He gives so much time to the care of himself that the hours which could be given to the Master's work are directly and seriously curtailed; he is so pre-occupied with feeling tired, or tending a cold, or with fancied heart difficulties that his "body consciousness" steadily develops until it eventually dominates his life; it is then too late to do anything. This is particularly the case with people who have reached their fiftieth year or over. It is an alibi which it is hard not to use, for many feel tired and ailing and this, as the years go by, is apt to get worse. The only cure for this creeping inertia is to ignore the body and take your joy in the livingness of service. I speak here not of definite disease or of serious physical liabilities; to these right care and attention must be duly given; I speak to the thousands of ailing men and women who are pre-occupied with taking care of themselves, and so waste hours of the time which could be given to the service of humanity. Those who are seeking to tread the Path of discipleship should release those many hours spent in needless self-care into the service of the Hierarchy. Still another alibi, leading to inertia, is the fear people have of speaking about the things of the kingdom of God to others; they are afraid of being rebuffed, or of being thought peculiar, or of intruding. They, therefore, preserve silence, lose opportunity and never discover how ready people are for the discussion of realities, for the comfort and hope which the thought of Christ's return can bring, or for the sharing of spiritual light. This is essentially a form of spiritual cowardice but is so wide-spread that it is responsible for the loss of millions of hours of world service. There are other alibis, but those above noted are the most common; the release of the majority of people from these hindering conditions would bring to the service of the Christ so many hours and so much overtime endeavor that the task of those who admit no alibis would be greatly lightened and the coming of the Christ would be much nearer than it is today. The rhythm of life under which the Christ and the spiritual Hierarchy operate, and which vibrates in harmony with human need and spiritual response, we are not called. We are, however, called to demonstrate the quality of spiritual activity and to refuse to hide behind alibis. It is essential that all spiritual people recognize that in the place where they now are, among the people who are their associates and with the psychological and physical equipment with which they are endowed, they can and must work. There is no possible coercion or undue pressure exerted in the service of the Hierarchy. The situation is clear and simple. There are, at the present time, three great activities going on: - First, the activity to be felt in the "center where the will of God is known," that will-to-good which has carried all creation on toward a greater glory and a steadily deepening, intelligent responsiveness. This today is creatively endeavoring to bring in the new world order, the order of the Kingdom of God under the physical supervision of the Christ. This might be regarded as the externalization of the spiritual Hierarchy of our planet. Of this, the return of the Christ to visible activity will be the sign and the symbol. Secondly, the critical activity which is conditioning the spiritual Hierarchy, from the Christ Himself down to the lowest aspirant to be found on the periphery of that "Centre where the love of God" has full play. There, it is fully realized that (in the works of St. Paul) "the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now, waiting for the manifestation of the Sons of God" (Romans V111:22). It is for the manifestation They now prepare, these "Sons of God Who are the Sons of Men;" it is for this coming forth to outer active service that They are already - one by one - entering into outer activity upon the physical plane. They are not recognized for what They are, but They go about the Father's business, demonstrating goodwill, seeing to enlarge the horizon of humanity, and thus prepare the way for the One Whom They serve, the Christ, The Master of all the Masters and the Teacher alike of angels and of men. Thirdly, there is humanity itself, "the Centre which we call the race of men" - a center at present full of chaos, turmoil and confusion, a humanity full of pain, bewilderment, disturbance, yet mentally aware of infinite possibilities, emotionally fighting for that plan which seem to them to be the best, but with no sense of coherency or any realization that it must be the 'one world for the one humanity.' They desire simply emotional peace, security in which to live and work, and a vision of a future which will satisfy some inchoate sense of divine persistence. They are physically ill, deprived for the most part of the essentials of normal wholesome living, wracked with the sense of financial insecurity and - consciously or unconsciously - invoking the Father of all on behalf of themselves and of the rest of the world. The solution is to be found in the reappearance of the Christ. This is the ascertained will of God, and to it the Scriptures of the world testify; it is the desire of Christ Himself and of His disciples, the Masters of the Wisdom; it is the unrealized demand of peoples in all lands. Where there is this unification of purpose, this uniformity of spiritual intention and of realized demand, then there is only one thing which can arrest His reappearance and that is the failure of mankind to prepare the world stage for that stupendous event, to 'prepare the Way of the Lord, make His paths straight" (Matthew 111:2), to familiarize the people everywhere with the idea of His coming, and bring about the required measure of peace on earth - a peace based upon right human relations. It is surely needless here to deal with the theme of the preparation which the individual should make within himself as he prepares for the work to be done. Men have had the principles of right spiritual conduct presented to them for centuries, though largely because good conduct will lead them to a good heaven, the aim has been basically selfish. The little prayer which says, "Lord God Almighty! Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me," sums up all the requirements for those who seek to work in preparation for the coming of the Christ, if it is added the development of a sound intelligence and the practice of an organized life. But today the motive shifts from the concept of personal salvation (which is assumed or taken for granted), and the preparation required is that of working, with strength and understanding, to bring about right human relations - a broader objective. There we have a motive which is not self-centered but which ranges each individual worker and humanitarian on the side of the spiritual Hierarchy, putting him in touch with all men of goodwill. We come not to the second of the major hindrances: the lack of financial support for the workers of the Christ. 2. Lack of Financial Support for the Work of the Christ. This is perhaps the major difficulty, and it appears to many at times to be an insuperable one. It involves the problem of true financial trusteeship and the deflection of adequate sums of money into channels which will definitely aid in the work of preparation for the return of the Christ. It is closely tied up with the problem of right human relations. The problem is, therefore, a peculiarly hard one, for the spiritual workers of the world have not only to train people to give (according to their means) but, in many cases, they have - first of all - to provide them with a motive so magnetic in its appeal that they must perforce give. They have also to provide the trust, foundation or organization through which the given money may be administered, This presents them with a most impressively difficult task. The impasse which at present exists is not based only upon the novelty of raising funds in preparation for the return of the Christ, but it is based also upon the trained selfishness of the majority who won the world's wealth and who - even if they do give - do so because it fosters prestige and indicates financial success. Necessarily, there are exceptions to this but they are relatively few. Generalizing, therefore, and over-simplifying the subject, we can assume that money finds its way into four main channels of expenditure: 1. Into the myriad homes in the world in the form of wages, salaries or inherited wealth. All this at present most unevenly balanced, producing extreme riches or extreme poverty.
2. Into great capitalistic systems and monopolies which are found as towering structures in most lands. Whether this capital is owned by the government, or by a municipality, or by a handful of wealthy men or by the great labor unions matters not. Little of it is spent in the betterment of human living or for the inculcation of those values which lead to right human relations.3. Into the churches and religious groups throughout the world. Here (again speaking in general terms and at the same time recognizing the existence of a spiritually-minded minority) the money is deflected into the material aspects of the work, into the multiplying and preservation of ecclesiastical structures, into salaries and general overhead, and only a percentage of it really goes into the teaching of the people, into a living demonstration of the simplicity "as it is in Christ," and into the spreading of the fact of His return - for centuries a definite doctrine of the churches. That return has been anticipated down the ages, and might have occurred ere now had the churches and religious organizations everywhere done their duty. 4. Into philanthropic, educational and medical work. All of this has been exceedingly good and greatly needed and the debt of the world to the public-spirited men who have made these institutions possible is great indeed. All of this has been a step in the right direction and an expression of the divine will-to-good. It is, however, frequently money misused and misdirected and the values developed have been largely institutional and concrete. They have been limited by the separate tenets of the donors, or the religious prejudices of those who control the disbursement of the funds. In the quarreling over ideas, religious theories and ideologies, the true assistance of the One Humanity is overlooked. The fact remains that had the directing agencies (through whose hands the money of the world is channeled) any true vision of the spiritual realities, of one humanity and the one world, and had their objective been the stimulation of right human relations, the mass of men everywhere would be responding to a future possibility very different from the present one; we would not be faced as we are today with the expenditures - running into countless billions - necessitated by the need to restore physically, not only the physical bodies of countless millions of men, but entire cities, transportation systems and centers responsible for the reorganization of human living. Equally, it can be said that if the spiritual values and the spiritual responsibilities attached to money (in large quantities or in small) had been properly appreciated and taught in homes and schools, we would not have had the appalling statistics of the money spent, prior to the war in every country in the world ( and spent today in the Western Hemisphere) on candy, liquor, cigarettes, recreation, unnecessary clothes and luxuries. These statistics run into hundreds of millions of dollars every year. A fraction of this money, necessitating the minimum of sacrifice, would enable the disciples of the Christ and the New Group of World Servers to prepare the way for His coming and to educate the minds and hearts of men in every land in right human relation. Money- as with all else in human living - has been tainted by selfishness and grabbed for selfish individual or national ends. Of this, the World War (1914-1945) is the proof, for, although there was much talk of "saving the world for democracy" and "fighting a war to end war," the main motive was self protection and self-preservation, the hope of gain and the satisfaction of ancient hatreds, and the regaining of territory. The years which have elapsed since the war have proved this to be so. The United Nations is unfortunately perforce occupied with rapacious demands from all sides, with the angling of the nations from position and power, and for the possession of the natural resources of the earth - coal, oil, etc., and also with the underground activities of the great Powers and of the capitalists which they all create. Yet all the time, the one humanity - no matter what the place of residence, what the color of the skin, or what the religious belief - is clamoring for peace, justice and a sense of security. This, the right use of money and a realization on the part of many of their financial responsibility ( a responsibility based on the spiritual values) would rapidly give them. With the exception of a few great farsighted philanthropists and of a mere handful of enlightened statesmen, churchmen and educators, this sense of financial responsibility is to be found nowhere.. The time has now come when money must be re-evaluated and its usefulness channeled into new directions. The voice of the people must prevail, but it must be a people educated in the true values, in the significance's of a right culture and in the need for right human relations. It is , therefore, essentially a question of right education and correct training in world citizenship - a thing that has not yet been undertaken. Who can give this training? Russia would gladly train the world in the ideals of communism, and would gather all the money in the world into the coffers of the proletariat, eventually producing the greatest capitalistic system the world has ever seen; Great Britain would gladly train the world in the British concepts of justice and fair play and world trade, and would do it more correctly than any other nation because of vast experience but always with an eye to profit. The United States would also gladly undertake to force the American brand of democracy upon the world, using her vast capital and resources in so doing, and gathering into her banks the financial results of her widespread financial dealings, preserving them safely by the threat of the atomic bomb and the shaking of the mailed fist over the rest of the world. France will keep Europe in a state of unrest as she seeks to regain her lost prestige and garner all she can from the victory of the other allied nations. Thus the story goes - each nation fighting for itself, and all rating each other in terms of resources and finance. In the meantime, humanity starves, remains uneducated, and is brought up on false values and the wrong use of money. Until these things are in process of being righted, the return of the Christ is not possible. In the face of this disturbing financial situation - what is the answer to the problem? There are men and women to be found in every land, every government, every church and religion, and every educational foundation who have the answer. What hope is there for them and for the work with which they have been entrusted? How can the people of the world, the men of goodwill and of spiritual vision help? Is there anything they can do to change the thinking of the world in regard to money thus deflecting it into channels where it will be more correctly used? The answer must be found. There are two groups who can do much: those already using the financial resources of the world, if they will catch the new vision and also see the handwriting on the wall which is bringing the old order down in destruction, and, secondly, the mass of the good, kindly, people in all classes and spheres of influence. Men of Goodwill and of spiritual inclination must reject the thought of their relative uselessness, insignificance and futility, and realize that now (in the critical and crucial moment that has come) they can work potently. The Forces of Evil are defeated, though not yet "sealed" behind the door where humanity can put them and which The New Testament foretold would happen. Evil is seeking every avenue available for a new approach but - and this we can say with confidence and insistence - the little people of the world, enlightened and selfless in their viewpoint, exist in sufficient numbers to make their power felt - if they will. There are millions of spiritually-minded men and women in every country who, when they come to the point of approaching in mass formation this question of money, can permanently re-channel it. There are writers and thinkers in all lands who can add their powerful help, and who will, if correctly approached. There are esoteric students and devoted church people to whom appeal can be make for aid in preparing the way for the return of Christ, particularly if the aid required is the expenditure of money and time for the establishing of right human relations and the growth and spread of goodwill. A great campaign to raise money is not demanded, but the selfless work of thousands of apparently unimportant people is required. I would say that the most needed quality is courage; it takes courage to put aside diffidence, shyness and the dislike of presenting a point of view, particularly a point of view connected with money. It is here that the majority fail. It is relatively easy today to raise money for the Red Cross, for hospitals and for educational institutions. It is exceedingly difficult to raise money for the spread of goodwill, or to secure the right use of money for forward looking ideas, such as the return of the Christ. Therefore, I say that the first prerequisite is Courage. The second requirement for the workers of the Christ is to make those sacrifices and arrangements which will enable them to give to the limit of their capacity ; there must not be simply a trained ability to present the subject, but each worker must practice what he preaches. If, for instance, the millions of people who love the Christ and seek to serve His cause gave at least a tiny sum of money each year, there would be adequate funds for His work; the needed trusts and spiritually-minded trustees would then automatically appear. The difficulty is not with the organizing of the money and work; it lies with the seeming inability of people to give. For one reason or another, they give little or nothing, even when interested in such a cause as that of the return of Christ; fear of the future or the love of purchasing, or the desire to give presents, or failure to realize that many small sums mount up into very large sums - all these things militate against financial generosity and the reason always seems adequate. Therefore, the second pre-requisite is for everyone to give as they can. Thirdly, the metaphysical schools and the esoteric groups have given much thought to this business of directing money into channels which appeal to them. The question is often asked: Why do the Unity School of thought, the Christian Science Church, and many New Thought movements always manage to accumulate the required funds whilst other groups, and particularly the esoteric groups, do not? Why do truly spiritual workers seem unable to materialize what they need? The answer is a simple one. Those groups and workers who are the closest to the spiritual ideal are as a house divided against itself. Their main interest is on abstract, spiritual levels and they have not apparently grasped the fact that the physical plane, when motivated from the spiritual levels, is of equal importance. The large metaphysical schools are focused on making a material demonstration, and so great is their emphasis and so one-pointed is their approach that they get what they demand; they have to learn that the demand and its answer must be the result of spiritual purpose, and that that which is demanded must not be for the use of the separated self or for a separative organization or church. In the new age which is upon us, prior to the return of the Christ, the demand for financial support must be for the bringing about of right human relations and goodwill, and not for the growth of any particular organization. The organizations so demanding must work with the minimum of overhead and central plant, and the workers for the minimum yet reasonable salary. Not many such organizations exist today, but the few now functioning can set an example which will be rapidly followed, as the desire for the return of Christ grows. Therefore the third pre-requisite is the service of the one humanity. The fourth pre-requisite must be the careful presentation of the cause for which the financial support is required. People may have the courage to speak, but an intelligent presentation is of equal importance. The major point to be emphasized in the preparatory work for the return of Christ is the establishing of right human relations. This has already been started by men of goodwill all over the world, under their many names. We come now to the fifth pre-requisite: vital and sure belief in humanity as a whole. There must be no pessimism as to the future of mankind or distress over the disappearance of the old order. "The good, the true and the beautiful" is on its way, and for it mankind is responsible, and not some outer divine intervention. Humanity is sound and rapidly awakening. We are passing through the stage where everything is being proclaimed from the housetops - as Christ stated would be the case - and as we listen to or read of the flood of filth, crime, and sensual pleasure or luxury buying, we are apt to be discouraged; it is wise to remember that it is wholesome for all this to come to the surface and for us all to know about it. It is like the psychological cleansing of the subconscious to which individuals submit themselves; it presages the inauguration of a new and better day. There is work to do and the men of goodwill, of spiritual instinct, and of truly Christian training must do it. They must inaugurate the era of the use of money for the spiritual Hierarchy, and carry that need into the realms of invocation. Invocation is the highest type of prayer there is, and a new form of divine appeal which a knowledge of meditation has now made possible. There is naught to add in the way of an appeal for funds, courage or understanding. If the courage of the Christ, as He faces return to this physical, outer world, if the need of humanity for right human relations and the sacrificing work of the disciples of the Christ are not enough to fire you and to energize you and those whom you can reach, there is nothing that can be said which will be of any use. We have considered the need of preparation for the coming of the Christ and some of the basic requirements which will arise as people brace themselves for the needed activity, including the raising of the necessary finances to carry forward the preparatory work. The individual worker has, first of all, to decide if his incentive and spiritual expectancy is adequate to the task ahead. Only that is of importance which provides a needed momentum for action, and only that worker will be equal to the task who has a vision of sufficient clarity to enable him to work with understanding and sincerity. He must discover that it is possible for him to play his part in the furthering of the divine Plan. The fact of Christ and the genuine possibility of His reappearance must become important motivating factors in his consciousness. He looks around for those with whom he may work, and who have the same spiritual objectives as he has. In this way and in due time, he finds that there exists on Earth a well organized and integrated group to which can be given the name of the New Group of World Servers. He finds that they are everywhere, and are functioning in every country and in all the organized religious groups and all other groups, dedicated to the well-being of humanity and to preparing the way for the return of the Christ. This is primarily a group which, while working on the outer plane of daily, physical living, yet preserves a close, inner, spiritual integration with the center of energy from which it can draw all that is needed for active, spiritual work. The group provides a field of service for all who are seeking service-expression; it also provides a rallying point for all who are willing to be tried out, and a place where their motives and persistence can be tested, prior to a steady unfoldment of spiritual opportunity. He is thus freed for ever enlarging areas of service. The New Group of World Servers provides essentially a training ground and a field of experience for those who hope to grow in spiritual stature and to fit themselves to be the active, directed disciples of the Christ. The appearance of this group on Earth at this time is one of the indications of the success of the evolutionary process, as applied to humanity. This method of work - the use of human beings as agents to carry forward the work of salvation and of world uplift - was initiated by the Christ Himself; He worked with men very frequently through others, reaching humanity through the medium of His twelve Apostles, regarding Paul as substituting for Judas Iscariot. The Buddha tried the same system but the relation of His group was, in the first instance, to Him and not so much to the world of men. Christ sent His Apostles out into the world to feed the sheep, to seek, to guide and to become "fishers of men." The relation of the disciples of the Christ was only secondarily to their Master but primarily to a demanding world; that attitude still controls the Hierarchy, yet with no loss of devotion to the Christ. What the Buddha had instituted symbolically and in embryo became factual and existent under the demands of the Piscean Age. In the age into which we are now emerging, the Aquarian Age, this mode of group work will reach a very high point of development, and the world will be saved and reconstructed by groups far more than by individuals. In the past we have had world saviors - Sons of God Who have given to men a message which brought an increase of light to the people. Now, in the fullness of time, and through processes of evolution, there is emerging a group who will bring salvation to the world and who (embodying group ideas and emphasizing the true meaning of the Church of Christ) will so stimulate and energize the minds and souls of men that the new age will be ushered in by an outpouring of the Love, Knowledge and harmony of God Himself, as well as by the reappearance of the Christ in Whom all these three faculties of divinity will be embodied. Religions in the past have been founded by a great soul, by an Avatar, and by an outstanding spiritual personality. The stamp of their lives and words and teaching has been set upon the race and has persisted for many centuries. What will be the effect of the message of a group Avatar or world Savior? What will be the potency of the work of a group of knowers of God, enunciating truth and banded together subjectively in the great work of saving the world? What will be the effect of the mission of a group of world Saviors, all Knowers of God in some degree, who supplement each other's efforts, reinforce each other's message, and constitute an organism through which the spiritual energy and principle of spiritual life can make their presence felt in the world, under the direction of the Christ in Visible Presence? Such a body now exists, with its members in every land. Relatively they are few and far between, but steadily their numbers are increasing, and increasingly their message will be felt. In them is vested a spirit of construction; they are the builders of the new age; to them is given the work of preserving the spirit of truth, and the reorganizing of the thoughts of men so that the racial mind is controlled and brought into that meditative and reflective condition which will permit it to recognize the next unfoldment of divinity, which Christ will inaugurate. For the last ten years, this New Group of World Servers has been reorganized and revitalized; the knowledge of its existence is spreading all over the world. It is today a group of men and women of every nation and race and of all religious organizations and humanitarian movements who are fundamentally oriented towards the Kingdom of God or who are in process of thus orienting themselves. They are disciples of the Christ, working consciously and frequently unconsciously for His reappearance; they are spiritual aspirants, seeking to serve and make real the Kingdom of God on Earth; they are meant of goodwill and intelligence who are to increase understanding and right human relations among men. This group is divided into two major divisions: - 1. A group composed of the disciples of the Christ who are consciously working with His plans and of those who, instructed by them, are consciously and voluntarily cooperating. In this latter category we can find ourselves if we so desire, and if we are willing to make the necessary sacrifices. 2. A group composed of aspirants and world conscious men and women, who are working unconsciously under the guidance of the spiritual Hierarchy. There are many such, particularly in high places today, who are fulfilling the part of destroyers of the old form or of builders of the new. They are not conscious of any inner synthetic plan, but are selflessly occupied in meeting world need as best they may, with playing parts of importance in national dramas, or with working persistently in the field of education. The first group is in touch with the Spiritual Hierarchy to some extent and to a large extent where true disciples are concerned; its members work under spiritual inspiration. The second group is in closer touch with the masses of men; it works more definitely under the inspiration of ideas. The first group is occupied with the Plan of the Christ as far as its members can grasp its essentiality, whilst the second group works with the new concepts and hopes which are emerging in the consciousness of mankind, as men begin subjectively and often unconsciously to respond to the preparations for the coming of the Christ. Steadily and as a result of the work of the New Group of World Serves, humanity is awakening to the possibilities ahead. The awakening of the intelligentsia in all countries to the recognition of humanity is a prelude to the establishment of brotherhood. The unity of the human family is recognized by man, but before that unity can take form in constructive measures, it is essential that more and more of the thinking men and women throughout the world should break down the mental barriers existing between races, nations and types; it is essential that the New Group of World Servers should itself repeat in the outer world that type of activity which the Hierarchy expressed when it developed and materialized the New Group of World Servers. Through the impression and expression of certain great ideas, men everywhere must be brought to the understanding of the fundamental ideals which will govern the new age. This is the major task of the New Group of World Servers. As we study and learn to recognize the New Group of World Servers in all its branches and spheres of activity - scattered all over the world and embracing true and earnest workers and humanitarian people in every nation, every religion and every organization of humanitarian intent - we shall awaken to the realization that there is on Earth today a body of men and women whose numbers and range of activities are entirely adequate to bring about the changes which will enable the Christ to walk again amongst us. This will come about if they care enough, are ready enough to make the needed sacrifices and are willing to sink their national, religious and organizational differences in the carrying out of those forms of service which will reconstruct the world. They must educate the race of men in a few simple and basic essentials and familiarize humanity with the thought of the reappearance of the Christ and the externalization of the Kingdom of God. Their work will be largely to summarize and make effective the work of the two Sons of God: the Buddha and the Christ.
The success of the work of the New Group of World Servers is inevitable; they made much headway during the past ten years; the inner integration of that part of the group which works in close touch with Christ and the spiritual Hierarchy is such that the outer successes guaranteed. They provide a channel through which the light, love and power of the Kingdom o God can reach the more exoteric workers.
Therefore, let us realize that all spiritually inclined men and women, all who seek and work for the establishing of right human relations, all who practice goodwill and truly endeavor to love their fellowmen are an integral part of the New Group of World Servers and that their major task at this time is to prepare the way for the reappearance of the Christ.
Let me emphatically here state that the major method with which we can concern ourselves and the most potent instrument in the hands of the spiritual Hierarchy is the spreading of goodwill and its fusion into a united and working potency. I prefer that expression to the words "the organizations of goodwill." Goodwill is today a dream, a theory, a negative force. It should be developed into a fact, a functioning ideal, and a positive energy. This is our work and again we are called to cooperate.
The task before the New Group of World Servers is great, but it is not an impossible task. It is engrossing, but as it constitutes an imposed life pattern, it can be worked out in every aspect of a man or woman's normal, daily life. Yet at the same time, we are called to abnormal living, and to the shouldering of a definite responsibility.
The call for preparation for the reappearance of the Christ has gone out; the call to world salvage has sounded forth, and today spiritually-minded men everywhere are disciples of the Christ are assembling all over the world. It is not an assembling upon the physical plane but a profound subjective and spiritual happening. Even those with only a faint glimmer of understanding as to what the call truly signifies are responding, and asking for the opportunity to help, and for guidance as to what they may do.
Today, therefore, we wait for the new Appearing. The Christ is universally expected, and in this spirit of expectancy comes the antidote to the spirit of fear and horror which has descended upon our unhappy planet. Humanity today looks in two directions: towards the devastated Earth and the agonized hearts of men; it also looks towards the Place from whence the Christ will come, which they symbolically call "heaven." Where there is the same expectancy, where there is uniformity of testimony and of prediction, and where all the indications of "the time of the end" are with us, is it no reasonable to believe that a great event is in process of taking place? If, in the midst of death and destruction, there is to be found a living faith (and there is such a faith everywhere) and a burning zeal which pierces through the darkness to the Centre of light, does that not warrant the assumption that this faith and this zeal are founded on a deep intuitive knowledge. My it not be a divine fact that "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Hebrews X1:1)
Humanity in all lands today awaits the Coming One - no matter by what name they may call Him. The Christ is sensed as on His way. The second coming is imminent and, from the lips of disciples, mystics, aspirants, spiritually-minded people and enlightened men and women., the cry goes up, "Let light and love and power and death fulfill the purpose of the Coming One." These words are a demand, a consecration, a sacrifice, a statement of belief and a challenge to the Avatar, the Christ, Who waits in His high place until the demand is adequate and the cry clear enough to warrant His appearance.
One thing it is necessary to have in mind. It is not for us to set the date for the appearing of the Christ or to expect any spectacular aid or curious phenomena. If our work is rightly done, He will come at the set and appointed time. How, where or when He will come is none of our concern. Our work is to do our utmost and on as large a scale as possible to bring about our work.
All of us can do something to bring the present terrible world situation to an end and to better conditions; the least of us can play our part in inaugurating the new era of goodwill and understanding. It must be realized, however, that it is no millennium for which we work but that our main objective is, at this time, twofold:
1. To break the ancient and evil rhythms and establish a new and better one. It is here that time is a paramount factor. If we can delay the crystallization of the ancient evils which produced the world war, and arrest the reactionary forces in every nation, we shall be making way for that which is new and opening the door to the activities of the New Group of World Servers in every land - that group which is the agent of the Christ.
2. To fuse and blend the united aspiration and longing of the people everywhere so that the sound of humanity's demand may be strong enough to reach the spiritual Hierarchy.
This will require sacrifice, understanding and a deep love of our fellowmen. It will also require intelligence and wisdom and a practical grasp of world affairs. As the work goes forward in the establishing of right human relations (which is the basic world need ) and as the method of so doing - goodwill is developed, the Christ and His disciples will steadily approach closer to mankind. If the initial premise is accepted that He is on His way, then all spiritually oriented people and the disciples and aspirants of the world will inevitably work - but the premise must be accepted if the incentive is to prove adequate. It is with this thought that we look into the future. The fiat of the Lord has gone forth; Christ stands attentive to the demand of humanity. That demand is rising and mounting every day and "in such and hour as you think not, He will come."
The sons of men are one, and I am one with them.
I seek to love, not hate;
I seek to serve and not exact due service;
I seek to heal, not hurt.
Let pain bring due reward of light and love.
Let the soul control the outer form,
And life, and all events,
And bring to light the Love
That underlies the happenings of the time.
Let vision come and insight.
Let the future stand revealed.
Let inner union demonstrate and outer cleavages be gone.
Let love prevail.
Let all men Love.